Tearfund's Field Communications Specialist, Helen Manson, tackles the most frequently asked questions in regards to the Rohingya Crisis.

The Rohingya Refugee Crisis broke on August 25th 2018. Nearly one year on from the moment that brought almost a million people from Myanmar to Bangladesh we answer your most burning questions.

Read more


Recent Posts

What is Disaster Risk Reduction? And what difference does it really make?

What is Disaster Risk Reduction? And what difference does it really make?

Thursday, 13 September 2018 — Keith Ramsay

For us in New Zealand, disasters are not nearly as frequent as they are in low-income countries and the people Tearfund works with are much more vulnerable in disasters than New Zealanders, as they don’t have the same resources to reduce their risk or to cope with the aftermath. So what is Disaster Risk Reduction? And what difference can it really make? Read on to find out the power of DRR!

Read more

International Youth Day #SafeSpaces4Youth

International Youth Day #SafeSpaces4Youth

Friday, 10 August 2018 — Rosie Paterson

On International #YouthDay, our Programmes Specialist, Rosie, reflects on her own upbringing and celebrates the positive change young people in tough places can make, in the spirit of this year's United Nations theme #SafeSpaces4Youth.

At Tearfund, youth and community development matters to us. We see young people as key leaders with the potential to bring about significant change in their own communities. We believe all young people in Aotearoa New Zealand and abroad have the right to fun, engaging, inclusive and safe spaces.

Read more

Child Slavery on Lake Volta: 15 Powerful Photos To Make You Think

Child Slavery on Lake Volta: 15 Powerful Photos To Make You Think

Monday, 06 August 2018 — Sophie Rice

Millions of children around the world remain trapped in child labour. Ebenezer Agoa was six years old when he was sent to work on Lake Volta in Ghana: a notorious hotbed of child slavery. Check out 15 powerful photos that capture life on the lake.

Read more

Exposing Exploitation

Exposing Exploitation

Monday, 06 August 2018 — John Watson

There are more people trapped in slavery today than ever before in recorded history.

Why have the numbers increased? What’s the difference between slavery and human trafficking? What are the different forms of exploitation?

Check out the low-down on slavery, trafficking and exploitation with these Q&As.

Read more

How much of my donation actually ends up helping people?

How much of my donation actually ends up helping people?

Friday, 03 August 2018 — John Watson

We know this is a really important question for people and it’s one we get asked often. The short answer is: around 75% of your donation funds our international programmes and the other 25% pays for administration and marketing (among the lowest for comparable NZ charities). 

However, there’s an even better question to ask because according to research conducted by Giving Evidence and Givewell, a low administration cost isn’t necessarily a good thing...

Read more

Eating is a Justice Issue

Eating is a Justice Issue

Thursday, 12 July 2018 — Murray Sheard

What has food got to do with faith and justice? Lots, it turns out. We take food for granted, yet eating represents one of our most powerful engagement with the natural world. It remakes the physical landscape, determines how we use land, and defines core components of our lifestyle. How we source our food has a profound effect on global justice, carbon emissions, and hunger prevention.

Read more

Interview with Safia Minney, Ethical Fashion Expert

Interview with Safia Minney, Ethical Fashion Expert

Wednesday, 20 June 2018 — Claire Hart

We recently sat down to chat with Safia Minney, the founder of the pioneering ethical fashion brand People Tree, which was the first Fairtrade certified fashion brand.

You might recognise her from The True Cost documentary, or from her recently released Slave to Fashion book. Safia and People Tree are world leaders in the ethical fashion industry, and we're incredibly thankful and proud to be able to share the exclusive interview with you. 

Read more

Show more